So far all is well. We had some early eggs on my birthday, July 27th. They taste so fresh but they were teeny at first. They are starting to get bigger but not all 5 are laying. Even so, we have 2-3 everyday. I hope by September that all 5 are contributing. The ladies were begging us to let them out of the pen to get to the green grass outside so we let them free range. I know they cover quite a bit of area, including a bit of our next door neighbor’s yard. I hope they aren’t doing anything except exploring. The neat thing is, no matter how far they go, they always are in the coop at sundown. We are now looking at a bigger shed-like coop, that we can walk in. What we have is merely adequate, with no room for more hens and I have to stoop down to fill food, water or clean. I am also sure my wife wants more next year!!
They love seeing her, because she usually has a treat. Corn on the cob is their favorite.
- Eggs have arrived, and double yolks are the norm…yum!
- Egg laying is on the agenda…and we lose a chicken.
- Getting back on topic somewhat, Chickens are 11 weeks old. 2 months to eggs!
- Calvin and Hobbes Creator Bill Watterson Returns
- Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say but I’m sorry we got some pretty ladies….:-)
edie on Pretty soon we transition to t… edie on Pretty soon we transition to t… Ace on Hail to the chickens?! Sudden… Ace on Hail to the chickens?! Sudden… Cody VerKuilen on Hail to the chickens?! Sudden…
- 510 hits